Blog Archives

Medal Bracelet Update

Today, I made a new bracelet for my medals.  This project has been on the back-burner ever since my previous attempts failed to stand up to the wear and tear of daily use.  I’m hoping this wired version will last longer:

I found the pliers with nylon-covered jaws pretty useless.  They might prove more useful for a different kind of project.  I did most of the work with just my fingers.

On the photo above you should be able to see a bird pendant on the left.  I’ve fitted it with a clasp so that I can attach it anywhere along the bracelet.  The idea is based on the sacrifice beads of St. Thérèse of Lisieux except I’m counting sins rather than sacrifices.  I couldn’t think of a way of making sure that beads would stay in place when they were moved along for counting purposes.  I didn’t think of looking on the Internet.  If I’d have looked I probably would have found this website – Little Ways – which seems to have lots of useful information on this whole subject.  Anyway, the idea with my beads is to provide myself with an incentive to stop committing persistent sins that I’m having particular trouble with.  Each time I realise that I’ve committed the sin that I want to tackle, I move the bird (which represents the Holy Spirit) along to the next position.  At the end of the week I count up the positions moved and this dictates the size of the sacrifice I then make.  I don’t know how effective this is going to be but I thought it was worth a try.  (I’m already praying for help, of course; that’s always the first resort.)

Advertisements

My Crummy Macramé

Not really.  It’s not perfect but it’s not crummy.  I just liked the wordplay.

It won’t surprise any of my regular readers that, given my love of all things knotty, one of the many crafts I’ve dabbled in is macramé.  One of my old projects resurfaced recently so I thought I’d try another.  Here are some photos of the old kit and the project that I did as a teenager.

macrame1

macrame2

As often happens with me, I didn’t have all the right materials so I had to improvise. I only had three beads so I ended up with something that looks like a weird face.macrame3

When I was in Romania I bought an elasticated bracelet off a little old lady.  After a while I added my devotional medals to it.  After wearing it every day for months the elastic I added started to give up the ghost.

macrame4

I was sad not to be able to wear it any more so I decided to restore the Romanian bracelet and make a new macramé bracelet for my medals.macrame5macrame6macrame7macrame8

Here is the video tutorial I used.  I changed the fastening because I wasn’t sure that my yarn would melt and seal like the one in the video.