Here are some more pieces for my garland. The leaf is a pretty standard Irish crochet motif, and the bird is my own design. They didn’t turn out quite how I wanted but I’ve put the bird pattern below anyway. I’ll make one more leaf to check the pattern before I publish it.
Bird Pattern (UK terminology)
I used a 3.5mm hook, and cotton yarn (which looks like DK thickness)
- 5 ch, ss to make ring
- 1 ch, 8 dc into ring, ss into first st
- 3 ch, 2 tr in same dc, *3 tr in next dc* seven times, ss into 3rd chain
- 3 ch, 1 tr in top of same tr, *3 tr in next tr, 2 tr in next tr* repeat to beg., ss
- Change colour. 3 ch, 1 tr in top of each tr, ss into 3rd chain
- 3 ch, 1 tr in top of each tr, ss into 3rd chain, fold motif in half so that the current stitch is at one end of the fold. To form the tail, 7 ch, ss into top of fold near the base of the chains, 7 ch, ss a little further along the fold, 7 ch, ss, 5 ch, ss (see photo for guidance). Finish off leaving enough yarn to sew the edges together. Use the first colour to sew a beak and eyes (see photo).
I was hoping to hide this news in a post about origami or something but I haven’t got anything new to show you. Anyway, I found out a few days ago that my Magpie picture didn’t make it into the Mayo Artist’s Show. My only other submission to be rejected (see below) also featured birds.
I still like it though. It’s called Lir’s Children. I’ve started doing a digital version using Manga Studio. Don’t hold your breath though. I’m making very slow progress.